Sunday, 1 January 2012

first snack of 2012


I hope you had a great, Champagne-fuelled evening with lots of confetti and post-countdown hugs. My night was a lot less glamorous: I lay on the couch feeling sick and watched Futurama.

I'm back to normal today, and as usual, around 1pm I started scrounging for snacks. There were heaps of chocolates and candies and cookies leftover from Christmas day, but I decided to stick to my NY Resolution of eating better and made something from scratch instead. It's kind of like Nutella but not at all(...?); it doesn't taste like hazelnuts, but it does taste like chocolate, and it's inspired by this raw brownie recipe.

It doesn't contain any nuts, gluten, dairy or processed sugars. It does contain raw cacao powder, which reportedly contains more antioxidants and minerals per gram than green tea, goji berries and blueberries (more here).

I didn't exactly follow a measured recipe, but it went something like this:

  • a cup of pitted Medjool dates, soaked in boiling water for half an hour
  • 2 heaped tbsp raw cacao powder
  • 1 tbsp raw tahini 
  • 1 tbsp brown rice syrup (optional)
    _____________________________________________________________________________

    Blended these in a food processor until smooth and added water to create a spreadable consistency. Spread on toast or crackers. I put the extra in a jar in the fridge. 


No comments:

Post a Comment